FAQs for Clubs

A comprehensive list of frequently asked questions are listed below.

If you have a query not covered by the list below please contact Howden by email or call 0121 698 8051.


What activities are clubs covered for?

In addition to recognised England Handball activities, clubs are covered for all activities typically associated with the running of a club, including administration and social events.

Back to top ^

Who / What is covered by the Combined Liability insurance?

Combined Liability Insurance provides for legal liability following negligence, nuisance or trespass. Unlike other liability insurances, it not only covers Public Liability, but also includes cover for the following, which are excluded from other providers standard covers:

  • Public & Products Liability - accidental bodily injury to third parties and / or damage to third party property arising out of declared EHA activities or goods sold or supplied. This cover includes including
    • Member-to-Member liability - the policy will protect one insured member if another member is injured and claims against them
    • Defamation – in regards to libel & slander
  • Professional Indemnity - injury following coaching/instruction, including incidental advice
  • Directors’ & Officers’ Liability - Protection for club committee members in respect of their personal liability for claims resulting from mismanagement
  • Legal Defence Costs - defence of criminal proceedings brought or in appeal against a conviction arising from such proceedings relating to an offence alleged to have been committed in the course of the business in respect of a breach of Health and Safety at Work Act or Part II of the Consumer Protection Act.

Back to top ^

What is the Limit of Indemnity?

In the event of a claim the limit of indemnity is the maximum the policy will pay. The Combined Liability policy provides the following Limits of Indemnity:

  • £10 million any one period of cover for Public & Products Liability
  • £5m Directors & Officers*
  • £250,000 Legal Defence Costs

Please note Director’s & Officers’ cover is costs inclusive.

Back to top ^

Why is a £10 million limit of indemnity required for Public Liability

Howden believe that £10 million is the appropriate amount of cover to provide clubs and members with peace of mind in the event that an individual is held responsible for causing a catastrophic injury. Claims involving sports injuries have exceeded £5 million in recent years, with court awards escalating annually.

Back to top ^

If I am a club committee member - What protection do I get

As a committee member you have a personal liability in respect of the management of your club, particularly if the club is unincorporated. Combined Liability insurance provides Directors’ and Officers’ cover in order to protect you if you are sued for negligent decisions.

Examples include:

  • Mismanagement of the club finances
  • Breach of fire safety regulations
  • Corporate manslaughter

Cover is provided specifically to protect club officials and committee members.

Back to top ^

Do we have cover if employees are injured?

This is a separate insurance required in the event that an employee is injured and claims compensation against the club. In general, you may need Employers' Liability insurance for someone who works for you if any of the following apply:

  • You have the right to control where and when they work and how they do it
  • You supply most materials and equipment
  • You have a right to any profit your workers make although you may choose to share this with them through commission, performance pay or shares in the company. Similarly, you will be responsible for any losses
  • You deduct national insurance and income tax from the money you pay them
  • You require that person only to deliver the service and they cannot employ a substitute if they are unable to do the work
  • They are treated in the same way as other employees, for example if they do the same work under the same conditions as someone you employ.

Under British Law, you can still be called an “employee” even if you are not paid. Our advice would always to take out Employers' Liability insurance.

Back to top ^

How is Employer’s Liability different to Public Liability?

Employers' Liability protects the employer in the event of an injury to an employee, for which the employer is liable, e.g when the employee sues the employer. Employers' Liability could apply to clubs who employ coaches or volunteers to work on their behalf.

Public Liability protects a club/member/volunteer if another member, or a member of the public, sues them for injury or damage caused.

Back to top ^

Are non-members covered by the policy for ‘taster’ sessions?

Individuals who may be interested in joining a club are insured for a maximum of 4 initial “taster” sessions.

For indemnity to apply it is essential that the club records their name, address and dates of attendance. These details must be retained as they may be called upon in the event of a claim. The individual must be a member from their 5th visit.

Failure to do so may mean that the insurance will be invalidated in the event of a claim.

Back to top ^

Is our club covered if we go abroad?

Liability cover is provided for trips abroad that are authorised/recognised by England Handball.
Please note this is not a Travel Insurance policy, cover for which can be obtained from Sport Travel Insurance.

Back to top ^

Does the policy provide cover for medical expenses abroad?

No, it is essential that you take out travel insurance for all members of your party travelling abroad. To obtain a quotation for travel insurance that will include cover whilst you are competing, please visit Sport Travel Insurance.

Back to top ^

Does the policy cover non UK residents?

Insurance cover is only available to members who have a permanent UK address. Such members are covered for their liabilities in terms of recognised activities in both the UK and overseas, provided that any overseas trip is officially recognised/authorised by England Handball.

Any member permanently living abroad is not covered.

Back to top ^

What significant exclusions or limitations apply?

  • Deliberate, dishonest or foreseeable acts
  • Abuse - the person accused of abuse / alleged to be the abuser
  • Claims arising from loss that happened prior to the retroactive date stated in the schedule, which would be the date that your continuous membership first commenced
  • Incidents / claims known to you but not reported to the insurers immediately
  • Risks that require more specific insurance, i.e. motor, marine
  • Injury to any person employed (including volunteers)
  • Loss of, or damage to, property in your custody or control
  • Fines, penalties or punitive damages
  • Medical negligence 

Please refer to the policy wording for a full list of the exclusions.

Back to top ^

What is the age limit?

There is no age limit.

Back to top ^

Does my cover include any Legal Expenses?

Yes but only for legal expenses for defence of combined actions.

Back to top ^

Are there any policy excesses?

There are no excesses.

Back to top ^

What do I do if our club becomes aware of an incident?

You should immediately record all relevant information as outlined in the Notification Requirements. 

If there are verbal or written allegations made against your club, you should complete the Incident Notification Form to notify Howden Ltd of the incident.

We would remind you that in NO circumstances should you admit liability or agree to pay for any damage caused as this may prejudice the position of Insurers and COULD result in the withdrawal of any indemnity.
Please note that this is a Liability Policy where the courts decide if negligence attaches to you. Therefore any payments you make to any third parties will not necessarily be reimbursed.

Back to top ^

If I am injured, can I claim from the policy?

No, if you are injured you may wish to seek legal advice on how to pursue a claim against the person(s) responsible for causing the injury.

Back to top ^

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs for Clubs

FAQs for Coaches

FAQs for Members

Claims Reporting FAQs