England Handball Association - Claims Reporting FAQs

Accidents can and do happen but what should be reported to the insurers? The below information details what should be reported and to whom:

If you have a query not covered here then please contact Howden by email or call 0121 698 8051.

What should we do if an accident occurs?:

  • An investigation of every incident should be carried out whilst those involved, including witnesses, still have a clear idea of the circumstances, and a written report should be produced.
  • Every incident, particularly those involving personal injury, should be reported to Howden (Insurance Brokers to the EHA) immediately it happens and they will advise you what to do next.

Please notify Howden immediately of any incident that involves:

  • A fatal accident
  • Any allegations of professional negligence i.e. arising out of tuition, coaching or advice given
  • Any circumstance involving damage to third party property
  • Any allegations of libel/slander
  • Any investigation under any child protection legislation
  • An injury involving either referral to or actual hospital treatment

An injury, that should be reported to Howden, is defined as:

  • Any head injury that requires medical treatment (doctor or hospital)
  • Any fracture other than to fingers, thumbs or toes
  • Any amputation, dislocation of the shoulder, hip, knee or spin
  • Loss of sight (whether temporary or permanent)
  • Any injury resulting from electrical shock or burn, leading to unconsciousness or requiring resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours
  • Any other injury leading to hypothermia, heat induced illness or to unconsciousness which requires resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours
  • Loss of consciousness caused by asphyxia or by exposure to a harmful substance or biological agent

Please note the above list is not exhaustive and if you are unsure as to whether an incident should be reported, then please do not hesitate to contact Howden claims department for further advice.
We would remind you that in NO circumstances should you admit liability or agree to pay for any damage caused as this may prejudice the position of insurers and COULD result in the withdrawal of any indemnity.

Back to top ^

Who do I report an incident to?

Incidents should be reported to:

Karen Stewart
Claims Handler
Tel: 0121 698 8046
Email: karen.stewart@howdengroup.com

Back to top ^


Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs for Clubs

FAQs for Coaches

FAQs for Members

Claims Reporting FAQs